Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving 2012 vs. 2013

This year was wayyyyy different than last year.  
We actually got to have Thanksgiving dinner with family instead of home as a family of three, which was great.
Last year Lucy's white blood cell count wasn't quite high enough for the doctor to be comfortable with having her around a large group of people in a different home, due to risk of coming into contact with bacteria not normally present in her home environment.
The irony is that the very next day the doctor e-mailed me and said Lucy was clear to visit other people's homes.  D'oh!
We did enjoy a very nice roast chicken dinner complete with the trimmings last year, which Andy was hoping to repeat.  He really liked having it as just a family of three.
But I was really depressed last year about not being able to be with family, so we spent Thanksgiving afternoon and evening at his mom's house, and the whole gang was there. 
Bad mom, I didn't take any pictures that day!  But here's my little buddy picking out pumpkins for making pumpkin pie from scratch.
      Thanksgiving morning, Andy worked on sealing our new cement countertops, while Lucy and I watched the Macy's Day parade.  Well, she ran around the house like a madwoman and would momentarily watch the parade, while I enjoyed a cup of coffee.
We of course watched the dog show, as is tradition.
We capped off the four day weekend by making gingerbread houses at my mother-in-law's with Andy's brother and his family.
Most year's I'm pretty disappointed with how my house turns out, because I usually try to glue the graham crackers together with icing and my structure usually ends up folding like a house of cards.
This year, we had five huge sheets of crispy marshmallow squares, so I used that as the foundation of my house.

    




















I'm happy to say that my house never folded and I didn't want to flip my plate and say f*&% this at any point in time.  Because gingerbread making is a very serious activity in our family.













 














It's been a tradition of mine for the past three years to build a fire engine in honor of my Uncle Tony.
Mahalo, Uncle Tony.

2 comments:

Dumm Family said...

Every year I flip my plate and say Screw this!

Stephanie Dumm said...

Your toilet and phone were awesome!!