Monday, March 17, 2014

An adjustment

We've got a week under our belts of having Jackson home.
Instead of being terrified of going home, I was very excited to get home with him and to get home to Lucy.
Caring for a newborn is not nearly as challenging as it was the first time around.  It's very much like riding a bicycle.
And unlike last time, I'm able to exclusively nurse him, which makes leaving the house easy because I don't have to worry about packing bottles, just diapers, an extra change of clothes, wipes and a blanket to cover up with if he needs to eat.
What I didn't think would be so hard was not being able to care for Lucy.  I'm getting teary just thinking about it.
For eighteen months, it was just her and I against the world.
But since I had a c-section, I'm not allowed to lift anything heavier than Jackson for two weeks. 
It's been really strange not taking care of her, putting her to bed at night, or even being able to pick her up and comfort her when she asks for it.  Things are going to be so much different from here on out, and I know that we'll all adjust and get used to our new family dynamic, but I'm really having a hard time sometimes dealing with splitting my time between the two of them.
The outings that she and I used to do alone, like grocery shopping or going to the library are going to be more complicated for awhile until we get used to Jackson being with us.
I'm sure this is something every parent goes through when they add a new member to the family.  The hormones sure don't help.
On the flip side, Lucy and Andy have bonded so much ever since Jackson was born.  I'm so grateful, because for the longest time Lucy has been such a momma's girl.  Instead of running to me automatically when she falls down and gets hurt, she runs to Andy and not just me, which is great.  She's been going to bed great for him which is another plus.  I hope the bonding continues after he returns to work next week.

No comments: