Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What they don't tell you about having your second kid

I wrote this post when I was 34 weeks pregnant with Lucy, and I'm 36 weeks now so I figured it would be fun to write a version for this pregnancy.
Being pregnant the second time around is a whole new ballgame.  I keep being disappointed in the baby books for not including a section about being pregnant with your second baby and all that it entails, but then I thought if they did it might be hard to want to try for number two (or three or four...)
Maybe my experience is a little different because Lucy was only nine months old when I got pregnant and it would have been different when she was older.
The biggest thing has been how difficult it is to get enough rest, especially since Lucy has never been a great napper.  She knocked herself down from two naps to one around 11 months.  The first trimester with no naps sucked pretty hard, but I managed.  Luckily morning sickness was mild, but I only just felt nauseated.
The second trimester was pretty easy.  I only had to slow down a little bit, so we could still easily go to the park and play a couple times a week.
It's only really gotten bad the past few weeks, since Lucy has learned to climb and is really into climbing things in our home she's not supposed to, like our TV stand, chairs, her art table and the end table.
Last pregnancy, I only had the dogs to worry about, and they listen (for the most part).
I could get home from work and lounge on the couch as much as I wanted, and go to bed whenever I wanted, and sleep until whenever I wanted.
Now I'm at the mercy of an 18-month-old, whose listening skills are quite selective.
I go to sit down on the couch and that's when Lucy decides to climb the TV stand and I either have to get her down or put her in time out.
By the time Andy gets home at night, I'm physically done.  My back hurts and I'm having Braxton Hicks contractions.
I asked my doctor if it was normal to be having more discomforts this time around, since I'm not working, just staying home.
He said that what I'm doing now, as a stay at home mom, is a lot harder than what I was doing as a reporter and that staying home with a child 24/7 is physically taxing.
I'm definitely having to slow down A LOT.  I'm not getting as much done around the house these days, which bugs me but I'd rather be rested so I can keep up with Lucy.
I feel bad because we're not getting out to play as much, but that's only because I can't fit through most playground equipment so I can't chase her.
We still have the mall playground to go to, which is great for having her piss off some energy, and I don't have to climb anything.
I remember the physical limitations of pregnancy bothering me last time, but that really meant that I didn't leave my desk for interviews as much, I mainly did them by phone.  I also farmed out taking photos to freelancers a lot more so I didn't have to go out in the heat and or squat/climb to get good shots.
This time I'm farming out dishes and Lucy's baths to Andy. : )
I'm getting pretty tired of being physically limited from what I can do with Lucy and I feel bad because I can't wait for this pregnancy to be over in about two weeks.
That's kind of a double-edged sword, though, because while I'll be able to do more with Lucy after my c-section recovery is over, we'll have a brand new person tagging along.
I'm trying not to let the guilt of Lucy having to share me with her brother get the best of me.  Some nights when I'm putting Lucy to bed I get really sad about the fact that our days of just the two of us are numbered, and she doesn't even know what's happening.  I just got a little teary eyed while writing that.
I know it's normal to feel a little sad when going from one child to two, but it doesn't really make it any easier.
But we'll all adjust like we did last time and it'll all be fine.


No comments: